Benefits of LED
LEDs represent an incredible, fast moving and game changing technology within the lighting industry and have progressed radically from their original applications as indicator lamps and signal devices such as traffic lights and exit signs.
Recent technological advances in this solid state light source have opened the door both to general domestic and commercial illumination applications, while improved performance coupled with reduced costs have led to a significant increase in the number and variety of market available LED lighting products. Indeed, while LEDs represented 7% of the worlds’ total lighting market in 2008 the US Department of Energy predicted a significant rise in market share to 50% by 2027.
This is not surprising as lighting specifiers and the general public alike have been quick to understand the benefits LED lighting offers over conventional light sources, which include (please click to expand):
Long Life and High Lumen Maintenance
- • Unlike conventional light sources LEDs are not subject to sudden failure or burnout, they gradually degrade in performance over their lifetime. A well designed LED light source will have good thermal management to ensure the junction temperature at the centre of the LED remains within the LEDs performance specification to allow the luminaire to obtain its full life potential.
- When designing a new LED product, acdc utilize complex thermal management software to analyse thermal paths and identify expected junction temperatures of the LED in their relevant environments. Our design and technical team then devise custom thermal heat sink solutions to dissipate heat away from the light source and deliver 50,000 hours to 70% lumen maintenance as standard across our product range.
- As LED fittings last at least 10 times as long as conventional light sources, there is no need to replace them as often, reducing or eliminating on-going maintenance and periodic relamping costs.
- It is also important to emphasise that the lifetime quoted for acdc LED products is to 70% lumen maintenance, not for failure, meaning that there will be a maximum of 30% degradation in terms of light output for the fitting after 50,000 hours but the luminaire itself will still work.
Energy, Efficiency and Sustainability
- With ever increasing energy tariffs, LED lighting offers the most cost effective medium and long term sustainable solution for your business.
- Realistically an LED solution, although more expensive in the short term, will pay for itself in around three years, after that time everything is a cost saving when compared to a traditional lighting solution.
- A well designed and manufactured LED luminaire will last for 50,000 hours, with a reduction in light output of no more than 30% over that period. LEDs can also be used as emergency luminaires when specified with an emergency driver, making them an even more attractive and cost effective lighting solution.
Vivid Colours without Filters and Colour Change
- Strong vivid colors and excellent whites
- Incredible range of up to 16 million different colors
- LEDs do not require filters to create colored light, resulting in deeper saturated colors without wasted light. Deep reds, greens, blues and other colors can be produced in mono-chromatic form directly from the LED itself. When filters are used, they block out the undesired portions of white light and only let the desired portions thru and the blocked light that is not the correct color is therefore lost energy. These strong primary colors can also be used to create RGB color mix systems with a vast array of colors being achieved.
- The light emitted from an LED is directional. Typical conventional light sources are omni-directional, emitting light in all directions. To direct the light, reflectors have to be used in order to direct the light onto the object to be illuminated. Each time a beam is reflected, it loses some of its intensity resulting in a fixture loss from 40 to 60%, meaning that in some cases more than half of the light is not directed in the desired direction. The directed nature of LEDs can result in fitting efficiencies of 80 to 90%, requiring less total lumens to provide the same level of illuminance
- LEDs are solid state devices containing no moving parts and no filaments to burn out. As such LEDs handle tough environments including heavy vibration and impact. There is nothing to break, rupture, shatter, leak or contaminate. This solid state nature of LEDs makes them extremely rugged and durable and therefore an ideal solution for applications where reliability is paramount.
- Many are solid state devices containing no moving parts and no filaments to burn out. As such LEDs handle tough environments including heavy vibration and impact. There is nothing to break, rupture, shatter, leak or contaminate. This solid state nature of LEDs makes them extremely rugged and durable and therefore an ideal solution for applications where reliability is paramount.
- LEDs are fully dimmable with standard driver technologies without sacrificing any characteristic of the light. acdc control gear is available for 1-10 Volt, DMX or Mains Dimming, offering smooth and accurate color control without any shift in color.
No Mercury & Environmentally friendly
- LED products are great for the environment and are fully recyclable. Unlike fluorescent light sources, LEDs contain no mercury, eliminating this from the lighting system will enable you to meet future increasingly stringent environmental regulations.
No Heat or UV in the Light Beam
- Make this technology ideal for delicate environments such as museums and retail where traditional light sources may damage artifacts and merchandise.
- Equally LED lighting generates virtually no heat, additional air conditioning requirements are not required lowering overall facility operating costs
- LEDs are typically much smaller than conventional light sources, allowing for dramatically different lighting designs capitalising on the unobtrusiveness of the light source. Working with LEDs can enable completely hidden sources of light eliminating large visual luminaires, and creating a magical effect when illuminated. The flexibility of LEDs allows for new, playful, and innovative lighting solutions, never previously conceivable